[Bf-taskforce25] RNA-IPO

Roland Hess me at harkyman.com
Tue Jan 13 18:11:26 CET 2009

Joshua -- I really like this structure you have worked out.

A couple of things that immediately come to mind:

- It would have to be transparent for the casual and existing user. The
implementation would have to allow them to keep working like they have
been from a work flow perspective, and add power when they want to dig
deeper. For people already doing advanced animation work, no one's going
to complain if the paradigm shifts enough to really smooth things out
and grant some power.

- As for the f-curve modifiers -- that's a great opportunity. They don't
just need to be procedural. Picture being able to add another curve with
only, say five points, as a modifier to a set of mo-capped curves. Pull
around those five bezier points and have it pull around/affect the "hi
res" mo-cap curves. That's some serious power. In reality, a curve is
just a user-defined function of x->y mappings, so it is a still a
"procedure." The point is that something like this shouldn't be
constrained -- make it open and artists will take it places you've not
even considered.

- I really like the idea of each ID-block having it's own link to the
bAnimData block. This sort of thing could be used for speedups where
pose caching is missing. The armature portion of a linked group does not
cache it's pose (not a proxied one -- I'm talking about targeting the
Action to the proper subobject in NLA), and neither does the onion
skinning with armatures. With a system like this, you make sure that
along with that animation link for each ID block you also have the
proper structure (probably in RNA) to cache things like posing.

Roland

Also -- with the Action DNA wrapped, what you like me to look at next?
Timeline RNA? Start porting Action Editor tools to operators?