[Bf-taskforce25] Dead Keys mapping

Sven von Brand svbrand at alumnos.inf.utfsm.cl
Thu Feb 19 11:27:58 CET 2009

joe wrote:
> I believe bdiego and elubie have worked on this sort of stuff in the
> past.  I've had a little experience with input schemes like this at
> work, and it is a pain, especially since blender's support of utf-8
> isn't all that great.
>
> Anyway, google search found a page that mentioned this function:
>
> http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.1/doc/XmbLookupString.3.html
>
> which is supposed to handle that sort of stuff for you.  since we use
> utf8 strings, you'd want to use the Xutf8LookupString  version of it.
>
> The low-level X event handling stuff is in intern/ghost, specifically
> intern/ghost/GHOST_SystemX11.c.  From what I gather, you have to
> replace usage of XLookupString with Xutf8LookupString  in some manner.

reading a bit, XlookupString does support the kind of characters I want,
I believe the problem is how it is handled, there are variables to
change the keyboard layout but from what I see I think there's is code
to be written in order for dead keys to work, I'll start investigating
and will inform if I manage to get something done.

> original article I found (may be outdated, who knows):
> http://gwyn.tux.org/~balsa/linux/deadkeys/index.html
>
> Anyway, hope this helps.

Thanks, it did help and it is outdated :)

--
Sven von Brand Laredo
Estudiante de Ing. Civil Informatica, UTFSM