[Bf-taskforce25] Dead Keys mapping

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 09:49:11 CET 2009

I believe bdiego and elubie have worked on this sort of stuff in the
past.  I've had a little experience with input schemes like this at
work, and it is a pain, especially since blender's support of utf-8
isn't all that great.

Anyway, google search found a page that mentioned this function:

http://www.x.org/archive/X11R6.8.1/doc/XmbLookupString.3.html

which is supposed to handle that sort of stuff for you.  since we use
utf8 strings, you'd want to use the Xutf8LookupString  version of it.

The low-level X event handling stuff is in intern/ghost, specifically
intern/ghost/GHOST_SystemX11.c.  From what I gather, you have to
replace usage of XLookupString with Xutf8LookupString  in some manner.

original article I found (may be outdated, who knows):
http://gwyn.tux.org/~balsa/linux/deadkeys/index.html

Anyway, hope this helps.

Joe