[Bf-taskforce25] Icons design

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Nov 26 12:03:31 CET 2008

Hi Andrzej,

First; check the discussion Matt already started here, it has good
suggestions:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/IconRedesign

Technically, the least thing I know is that we need two or three
distinct sets of icons.

1)
The lowest level - and quite limited - set should be treatable like
text; meaning only an alpha plane (or B&W) which allows our Theme
drawing code to draw them black or white, or colored. This will be for
arrows, dots, and all kinds of mostly button-level decorations or small
WM widgets. Also think of slider handles, rounded corners, etc.
Optionally you can draw them even with (soft)drop shadows or embossed.
(check Modo screenie in Matt's paper, icons in right-top corner of 3d
window).

It could be a good idea to integrate this with the new text drawing
module, which Diego already picked up to work on; meaning we can rely
on font size and position hints for proper handling of such icons.

2)
Icons that still work on text-size, like the current 16x16 ones, which
fit in buttons and menus. For larger buttons (or zoomed in ones) we
should allow them to go up to 32x32 I guess.

3)
Icons used for toolbars, with more details and information, which
probably won't work well when scaled down... it can be designed for
32x32 as default, with half and double size available (or up to
128x128).

I really like Matt's suggestion to use color as an additional
information layer, and not per icon, or to quote Matt: "colour is used
to communicate on another level of visual language". The tango series
of icons uses color as a property per icon, which quickly looks messy
and chaotic. Instead, a design can be made which allows a certain part
of an icon to get color, based on what we want to communicate, fitting
with other visual color clues as defined in Theme.

I'm not sure how to technically achieve that... in theory a colormap
could do, but is quite messy to make. Another idea could be to make a
special "attention" alpha mask, which we can drawn using OpenGL
"glPixelTransfer()" on top of the RGBA icon to colorize sections.

Further; afaik you've created the icons in Inkscape svg right? That's
cool, but I don't think we should add direct svg rendering code in
Blender. A system using multiple resolutions of icons and interpolating
them can work very well too. But, this is something our icon/font
department can look into. :)

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands