[Bf-taskforce25] Feature Requests for 2.50

Flávio Pontes flaviocpontes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 01:24:34 CET 2008

I don't know if it's the right time to throw these ideas but here they
go.

I've been thinking about the way I use Blender right now and the things
that really interfere with my workflow or that I find inconsistent or
simply what I wish for =).

1 - I'd like to have Sequences and Composite independent of scenes. I
understand that I can do it right now by building an empty scene just
for the composite noodle, but I find it inconsistent and confusing.

1a - I'd really like to be capable of using a noodle or sequence output
as the input of an image Texture, a strip in a sequence or as the input
for a composite, just like a render layer. It would be even greater if
we could have more than one active camera in a scene and use the camera
as an input texture for a monitor, for instance - I know that would
require much more work, but since the interface is going to be rethought
anyway...

2 - When I change workspace, it changes the scene to the last scene that
was edited in that workspace. I find that totally inconsistent and, in
fact, has created some problems for me. I believe the change of
workspace should be tied to the changing of the scene and not the other
way around, so, when I change scene I get the workspace I was working in
that scene.

3 - I find the current method of selecting fonts for the text object to
be suboptimal. It take a long time to change the font. The fact that the
user needs to know the font filename doesn't help. We should have a font
browser, with font names to choose from. That is in fact one of the
point raised against blender at work: browsing the filesystem to find a
font file just sucks - same for the way plugins are selected right now.

Just suggestions that I think would improve usability a bit.

Flávio.