[Bf-taskforce25] python api

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 17:32:27 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Dietrich Bollmann <diresu at web.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 02:54 +1100, Campbell Barton wrote:
>> Its early days to be thinking of py api but there are some bigger
>> questions that would be good to consider before finalizing api's.
>>
>> Some issues raised on this page to get the ball rolling.
>> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/PythonAPI
>
> If the new python API can be generated automatically by wrapping the c
> API, it should be possible to also generate APIs for different
> languages: lisp, scheme, perl, ...
>
> Being able to use blender as a library from lisp would be really nice :)
>
> Sorry for posting to [Bf-taskforce25] - concerning the definition of
> this list I shouldn't as I am not involved in blender 2.5 development.
>
> Good luck :)
>
> Dietrich

Your right, though I'd much prefer to support 1 language well.
The Gimp have perl, scheme, python, C, C# etc. and I dont believe it
helps them that much. It could even lead to a more fragmented
scripting community where new users dont know where to start, and docs
for any language are not great.
Also means more build dependencies... in the long term it could be
useful for moving to a new language, but for now Im really not
interested in this.