[Bf-taskforce25] python api

Dietrich Bollmann diresu at web.de
Mon Nov 17 16:35:05 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 03:32 +1100, Campbell Barton wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 3:23 AM, Dietrich Bollmann <diresu at web.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 02:54 +1100, Campbell Barton wrote:
> >> Its early days to be thinking of py api but there are some bigger
> >> questions that would be good to consider before finalizing api's.
> >>
> >> Some issues raised on this page to get the ball rolling.
> >> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/PythonAPI
> >
> > If the new python API can be generated automatically by wrapping the c
> > API, it should be possible to also generate APIs for different
> > languages: lisp, scheme, perl, ...
> >
> > Being able to use blender as a library from lisp would be really nice :)
> >
> > Sorry for posting to [Bf-taskforce25] - concerning the definition of
> > this list I shouldn't as I am not involved in blender 2.5 development.
> >
> > Good luck :)
> >
> > Dietrich
>
> Your right, though I'd much prefer to support 1 language well.
> The Gimp have perl, scheme, python, C, C# etc. and I dont believe it
> helps them that much. It could even lead to a more fragmented
> scripting community where new users dont know where to start, and docs
> for any language are not great.
> Also means more build dependencies... in the long term it could be
> useful for moving to a new language, but for now Im really not
> interested in this.

That probably depends on the point of view:

Seen from the perspective of Blender as a GUI based 3D graphical
animation tool one well supported scripting language would probably be
best; seen from the side of those people using some other language and
in need of a 3D library a python API only might not be very helpful...

>From the beginning on I am using Blender in the second way - and that's
why I am so enthusiastic about this idea :)

The ideal for me would be to define Blender as a graphical GUI tool
combined with a computer graphics / animation library which I can use
from the language of my choice (lisp) and to have the current Blender as
some kind of "special case" (one of lots of possible programs coupled
with one of lots of possible GUIs).

But I am of course very much conscious (at least since my "blender
command port" experience) that most people don't see Blender from this
perspective and so probably your point of view makes much more sense in
the current situation.

The nice thing for me and those other people using blender in a similar
way I do is that we can always "misuse" your efforts in our way - and
that's why I am very grateful for your proposition :)

Anyway, sorry for disturbing again and thank you very much for your
dedication to the Blender development,

best wishes,

Dietrich