[Bf-scripts-dev] Happy New year and I/O Group

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Fri Jan 6 13:31:59 CET 2006

Hi,

foucque benoit wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  Happy new year scripters! I hope this new year will be full of good
> scripting!
>
>  Just before the 2.40 release, we discussed about a group for Input
> and Output specification. More, i thing we could send idea about the
> validation process of the scripts included in each release. Any news
> for these subjects?

No news, we didn't start yet. There's also a BPython API overhaul
starting (that can break some or many scripts slightly), so the IO group
has time to discuss general matters first.

I guess a good first project would be to define a few very important
formats that we want to support well and:

1. Check the current state of these i/o scripts in Blender;
2. Start collecting a minimal set of sample files that we can use to
test importing and exporting of these formats.

Selecting a few doesn't mean we'll ignore the others, of course. It's
just a controlled way to experiment and set general guidelines that we
can follow with the other formats later. So we'd better start with as
few as 2 or 3 formats.

About #2: we gotta be careful with licenses, we can't simply grab any
file. We should have our own .blend file with models covering basic data
(uv textured mesh with 3 and 4 sided faces, loose edges and vertices,
scene data (camera, lamps), materials, etc.) to use with the exporters.
For the importers we can also collect (properly licensed) files that
they had to be upgraded / fixed to work with.

So, to start I suggest we discuss this: a minimal repository of sample
files to test the formats we will support. We need some volunteers to
take care of this and need to define how it's gonna work. We also need
people to keep an updated wiki page about what we're discussing / doing.

Opinions, volunteers? (Remember that this will only work if people
participate!)

--
Willian