[Bf-scripts-dev] a new start? -- Matt's proposal for menu naming convention

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Fri Feb 11 03:12:59 CET 2005

Matt Ebb wrote:

> I guess I'd personally say something like InfoImport or InfoExport
> (for SPACEINFO) ?

Following the proposed naming convention: "Window space -> Mode -> Menu"
it could  be InfoFileImport, for example, since we don't need to specify
something like "Normal" for mode.

> My concern is that while FaceselSelect would work, you then may run
> into problems if you then try to extend it to, say, EditModeSelect
> which would be tricky since the select menu for editmode differs from
> object type to Object type...

More like ObjectSelect for 3d view "normal" mode and MeshSelect,
CurveSelect, MetaSelect, etc. for resp. 3d view edit mode select menus.
Materials might get a place out of Scripts window, so ScriptsMaterials
may not stay and Import, Export, Render and Wizards are well defined
enough on their own.  Well, better make some test / write down all
groups following this and the defined  convention to see how it looks like.

> On the other hand, maybe we don't actually need a strict naming
> convention, as long as each time a new name is added, it's
> sufficiently unique to not cause conflicts with other menus in Blender...

Yep, but it's good to have a convention and you proposed a sensible one.

> And an 'Add->Scripts->' or something like that for scripts that
> generate geometry!

Sure : ).  BTW, I have to play with adding new scriptlink events:
OnRender, OnDisplay, OnSelect for objects, maybe OnKeyPress and
OnMouseButton (or OnMouseDown as Paolo suggested me) for scenes.  Not
sure these will work fine or be accepted, so no promises right now.

> As for the themes, what do you think about somehow combining it in the
> current themes chooser menu?

That'd be a natural place considering it'd be better to have all theme
related functionality in a single place.  Probably there's no need to
replace the old way, both could be available.

--
Willian