[Bf-scripts-dev] Scripts bundle

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Sun Feb 6 19:33:35 CET 2005

Hi again,

The current bundle in Blender follows this:

a) all are donated open source scripts;
b) on win all required modules are shipped with Blender (full Python is
required in other platforms);

For new scripts we will first discuss here, then move to bf-committers
or an irc meeting so we all can approve or not the inclusion.  For that,
the script must have been well tested at least on win, linux (*nix) and
os x and have good documentation -- check the scripts help browser
script in the help menu in Blender, then that script's code itself for
an example of how to write the doc.

About scripts that require modules not shipped with Blender: if the
extra modules are quite small (it's not only the module, but also all
other modules it imports, the modules these modules import, and so on),
we can add them to the current Python23.zip.  Otherwise, if accepted we
might put the script in a separate package, where we'd have more freedom
for updates and content.  Anyway, scripts importing extra modules should
do it like this mere example:

try:
  import FOO
except:
  Blender.Draw.PupMenu('Error!%t|This script requires a full Python
install, check console')
  print """
Error: this script requires a full Python install (or module(s): FOO,
etc.).  You can download it from http://www.python.org"""

Hey, we're here to discuss, so feel free to disagree, these things are
not set in stone yet ... or ever.

We should also take a look at the bundled ones and see what is missing.
What about starting with Import and Export scripts?  We need 3ds, for
example.  And we need better documentation for most of them, stating
what is supported.  Also, should we make all these scripts follow basic
guidelines, like:

- export only selected objects;
- import always to the current scene;
- give a popup on errors;