[Bf-scripts-dev] a new start? -- Matt's proposal for menu naming convention

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Feb 9 07:35:20 CET 2005

On 7 Feb 2005, at 5:11 AM, Willian Padovani Germano wrote:

> We should add new menus anyway.
> What do you guys think about the convention suggested by Matt?  Any
> other suggestion?  Guess I need more examples, like how would "Import"
> and "Export" be, Matt?

I guess I'd personally say something like InfoImport or InfoExport (for
SPACEINFO) ?

> One thing is that if there's such a change in Blender that windows get
> renamed or removed, menus change place, etc., this convention is too
> integrated and would become outdated.  Maybe having shorter names like
> FaceselSelect would be better.

Well, I think there's more chance of running into problems with menus
overlapping than there is of problems with windows being renamed or
removed. If something is renamed and we want to rename the script group
name, there's always the (yeah, messy) option of giving it a new name,
and still accepting the old one. My concern is that while FaceselSelect
would work, you then may run into problems if you then try to extend it
to, say, EditModeSelect  which would be tricky since the select menu
for editmode differs from object type to Object type...

On the other hand, maybe we don't actually need a strict naming
convention, as long as each time a new name is added, it's sufficiently
unique to not cause conflicts with other menus in Blender...

> Opinions?  It  would be good to have new menus, like Render, Facesel,
> etc. before the next release.  Also a better place for the themes
> scripts.

And an 'Add->Scripts->' or something like that for scripts that
generate geometry! As for the themes, what do you think about somehow
combining it in the current themes chooser menu? Or just be
controversial and replace the old theme saving etc with a Python
version? By the way, I've had some problems with the Python render
presets menu in tuhopuu, I need to get around to mailing about. Will do
it on bf-python.

Cheers

Matt