[Bf-scripts-dev] Removing the Wings3D Module

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Thu Nov 25 04:23:41 CET 2004

Hi Anthony,

We should already be discussing all import / export scripts in Blender,
defining guidelines, etc., I'll try to write something about it this
weekend or early next week.

Having Wings import / export directly is a nice feature in Blender, it's
good to have a direct / obvious-even-for-newbies bridge between two of
the best 3d open source programs, you know.  So I think -- just my
personal opinion -- it's better to keep them.

Maybe making it clear in the documentation what works and what doesn't
(even stating some objs won't work for import, if  it's not trivial to
define what would cause problems) is better than removing the scripts.
The doc could also explain that the Wings format is not stable yet (?)
until it reaches version 1.0 and suggest possible alternatives, like
Nendo and OBJ, I guess.

Anyway, we can discuss this more during the discussion about all import
/ export scripts, since Ton and other developers should also be
interested in this we can have more feedback.

--
Willian