[Bf-scripts-dev] Removing the Wings3D Module

Anthony D'Agostino gamma-ray at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 22:37:31 CET 2004

This may seem strange coming from someone that was nominated for the "best
python script" award. But this has been bugging me for a while.

I'm thinking about having my wings module removed the from the official
distribution. Why? Well, mainly because it doesn't import all wings files. I
wrote it because I just wanted to decode and learn more about the wings file
format, and to try my hand at python programming. I haven't really succeeded
because the script fails in too many cases. I think I went about it the
wrong way.

As far as the export is concerned, it was just an experiment. Have you heard
of any other application that exports to Wings3D? So far, Blender is the
first and only one that holds this title. The export always works perfectly,
provided the input mesh is closed.

The wings format changes frequently, but that may change when 1.0 is
released in February. After almost 3 years of hacking wings files, I
understand the simple changes, but maintaining the script becomes more
complicated. I wish it could be as stable as my nendo module, which uses the
same winged-edge data structure as wings. But the nendo format is fixed and
dead, and Wings3D is a growing infant.

So what do you guys think. (I'll probably also post this on elysiun to get
more feedback).