[Bf-python] Aerodynamics plugin

Christopher Barry christopher.r.barry at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:45:48 CEST 2016

On Thu, 12 May 2016 09:55:57 +0200
Wouter Remmerie <info at airshaper.com> wrote:

>Dear people of Blender,
>
>AirShaper.com is my startup, which is currently in a prototype phase:
>you can upload an stl file, and the aerodynamics will be calculated and
>reported automatically some time later. Feel free to subscribe and
>have a go at it!
>
>I'm still in the phase where I need to define my target market, and
>currently I am leaning towards the B2C market:
>making it easy for every designer to improve the aerodynamics of their
>design.
>Think of 10-25-100€ pricing for a calculation, depending on the
>accuracy.
>
>Therefore, I would greatly appreciate your feedback on the following:
>- would a B2C aerodynamics tool make sense? Are there enough hobbyists
>& passionate designers that will use it?
>- would it be a useful option to implement a plugin for blender, so
>people can analyse their design directly from within blender?
>A first API approach is documented at api.airshaper.com
>- to differentiate AirShaper from more engineering-like packages (which
>typically use ParaviewWeb), I'm thinking to implement better rendering
>techniques.
>An idea would be to use x3d files as the basis, and x3dom as the web
>renderer. Would that make sense?
>Are there possible links to blender to enhance web based rendering?
>

>I am very strongly looking forward to your feedback!
>And I'm based in Belgium, so if needed, I could travel to Amsterdam to
>discuss this with you in person.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Wouter Remmerie
>AirShaper.com - Founder
>info at airshaper.com

Sounds very cool. I was thinking that rc modeling magazines might be
willing to do a story on your calculator, and that aeronautical
engineering schools / universities might be interested in licensing
deals.

A blender plugin would be cool. It could simply export the
objects in a format your cloud app could digest, log into and send that
data to the cloud tool, and then just immediately return a URL to get
the results when they were done. How well does it need to be rendered?
I would imagine that the important things are the numerics of how
efficient the design is. Unless of course your app allows dynamic AoA
and yaw changes to visually analyze drag changes depending on object
orientation vs. fluid flow.

Good Luck!

--
Regards,