[Bf-python] Blenders Python API as Python Extension

Jenny jenny at caretdashcaret.com
Sun May 17 16:21:22 CEST 2015

Hi Glen,

> 1) Is this possible with out modifying the source code?

Have you taken a look at
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User%3aIdeasman42/BlenderAsPyModule ?

I'm not sure how up-to-date these instructions are, but it suggests a
way to build bpy as a Python module.

> 2) Are there any project that all ready expose blender API in such a way

There are plenty of scripts that use bpy from within Blender. I don't
know of any that use it as a standalone Python module.

There's also the possibility of running Blender headless if you want to
pipe things around.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.4/Manual/Render/Command_Line

> 3) What sort of integration with numpy arrays/buffer interface is possible
> a) Get Array of faces/vertices suitable for use with matplotlib 3D plotting.

If you're dealing with meshes in Blender, you can definitely export a
list of their faces and vertices.
http://www.blender.org/api/blender_python_api_2_74_0/bpy.types.Mesh.html

> b) Apply operation of numpy array  to find return Boolean map of enclosed points

If you're talking about matrix operations, Blender has its own mathutils
that supports matrices.
http://www.blender.org/api/blender_python_api_2_74_0/mathutils.html
If you really want to use numpy arrays, you might have to convert the
list of points into a numpy array first.

> 4) Am I able to get assistance from the Blender Development Team in Exposing this API
> 5) Is it possible to support both python 2.7 and 3.x
If you're talking about the bpy, it only supports Python 3.x. If your
only dependencies are numpy, scipy, and matplotlib, I believe they are
all Python 3 compatible.

Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Good luck,
Jenny