[Bf-python] Blenders Python API as Python Extension

Glen Fletcher 10716470 at student.uts.edu.au
Sun May 17 11:02:54 CEST 2015

I'm currently doing my PhD in plasmonics at UTS, we often need to create
code to create and manipulate complex 3D structure to feed into other
modeling software. This is a problem that is difficult due to the lack of
good libraries for manipulating a  3D environment.

In our code we use python + scientific libraries: numpy, scipy, matplotlib

I have also done 3d modeling as a hobby and use blender for this, I
understand from the blender manual that the object mapliculation functions
are exposed to the blender API such that any operations I perform in the
GUI could be performed by a python script thats run by blender.

What I'm interested in doing is compiling the blender API as a python
extension module that we could import in to python allowing the use of
blender function when creating 3D structure, and importing/exporting of
common 3D formats.

In this regard I have several questions.

1) Is this possible with out modifying the source code?
2) Are there any project that all ready expose blender API in such a way
3) What sort of integration with numpy arrays/buffer interface is possible
a) Get Array of faces/vertices suitable for use with matplotlib 3D plotting.
b) Apply operation of numpy array  to find return Boolean map of enclosed
points
4) Am I able to get assistance from the Blender Development Team in
Exposing this API
5) Is it possible to support both python 2.7 and 3.x

I believe if such extenstion module was published as part of the blender
project it would find wide usage in scientific applications, and hope you
can assist me in this task.

Thank You.

Glen Fletcher