[Bf-python] Blenders Python API as Python Extension

Christopher Barry christopher.r.barry at gmail.com
Sun May 17 21:48:52 CEST 2015

On Sun, 17 May 2015 19:02:54 +1000
Glen Fletcher <10716470 at student.uts.edu.au> wrote:

>I'm currently doing my PhD in plasmonics at UTS, we often need to
>create code to create and manipulate complex 3D structure to feed into
>other modeling software. This is a problem that is difficult due to
>the lack of good libraries for manipulating a  3D environment.
>
>In our code we use python + scientific libraries: numpy, scipy,
>matplotlib
>
>I have also done 3d modeling as a hobby and use blender for this, I
>understand from the blender manual that the object mapliculation
>functions are exposed to the blender API such that any operations I
>perform in the GUI could be performed by a python script thats run by
>blender.
>
>What I'm interested in doing is compiling the blender API as a python
>extension module that we could import in to python allowing the use of
>blender function when creating 3D structure, and importing/exporting of
>common 3D formats.
>
>In this regard I have several questions.
>
>1) Is this possible with out modifying the source code?
>2) Are there any project that all ready expose blender API in such a
>way 3) What sort of integration with numpy arrays/buffer interface is
>possible a) Get Array of faces/vertices suitable for use with
>matplotlib 3D plotting. b) Apply operation of numpy array  to find
>return Boolean map of enclosed points
>4) Am I able to get assistance from the Blender Development Team in
>Exposing this API
>5) Is it possible to support both python 2.7 and 3.x
>
>I believe if such extenstion module was published as part of the
>blender project it would find wide usage in scientific applications,
>and hope you can assist me in this task.
>
>Thank You.
>
>Glen Fletcher

Are you familiar with PythonOCC[1] / OpenCascade[2]?

[1] http://www.pythonocc.org/
[2] http://www.opencascade.org/getocc/download/loadocc/

--
Regards,
Christopher Barry

Random geeky fortune:
Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
	-- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy,
	   Ecole Superieure de Guerre