[Bf-python] Got X3D import fixes

Alekseyev, Vsevolod (NIH/NIAID) [E] VAlekseyev at niaid.nih.gov
Thu May 14 17:22:57 CEST 2015

Hi everyone,

We at NIH 3D Print Exchange ( http://3dprint.nih.gov ) are using Blender to operate on biomedical 3D models in X3D format. We've found the existing X3D import facility somewhat lacking in Blender  2.74, so we went ahead and rewrote it considerably. Specifically, we've added support for all X3D node types in Rendering and Geometry3D categories, and rewrote primitive import to run much faster.

I'm wondering if the Blender developer community would be willing to consider our changes for inclusion in Blender proper, and if so, what can/should we do about it.

I don't consider the code feature complete (Geometry2D support is completely missing, and texture support is incomplete here and there), but in a few weeks it might be.

Regards,
Seva Alekseyev
National Institutes of Health