[Bf-python] Blender Cloud Sync Add-on

Jonathan Giroux bloutiouf at gmail.com
Tue May 12 02:06:54 CEST 2015

I do believe too that Blender deserves a nice addon store system, in fact I
made a proof of concept. My idea was to integrate it with a website like
https://addons.blender.org the same way that https://www.npmjs.com/ or
https://crates.io but I didn't advertised much about it. You can get
inspiration from it for your network layer.
https://github.com/Bloutiouf/blender-addon-registry

I'm afraid of one thing for the user prefs. You'll have the same problems
that any other storage service has. I imagine that once it'll work, people
will want to upload some other .blend as well since it's the same. So...
you'll end up writing another storage service, kind of "generic but only
for Blender", which can be seen both as an advantage and a drawback.

I'd suggest instead that you patch the sources in order to add a "User
path" to the paths in the Blender User Preferences, so that people can give
a path to a dropbox dir, a USB drive, a NFS drive... and you won't have to
deal with the network layer by leaving to Dropbox which has a lot of payed
engineers to do so. This would also resolve the fact that each time there's
a new version of Blender, we have to copy/rename the user directory, that's
very annoying.