[Bf-python] proposal for updating rna/ python names of properties

Bassam Kurdali bassam at urchn.org
Mon Jul 8 18:11:28 CEST 2013

Hi all,
This comes about after the 'squeaky wheel' discussion of python api
consumers having troubles with api breakage from version to version.

While there are some necessary and difficult to solve issues related to
changes within blender itself, there is still one source of low hanging
(possibly) fruit.

One of the *really awesome* things about the current api is the zealous
consistency in naming of rna properties according to guidelines.
Occasionally, I come across one with weird inconsistency, and I'm
reminded of the 'bad old days' of the pre-2.5 api.

However, fixing a name (even when grepping and fixing all the references
in trunk and bf_extensions) is going to break every script that uses
that name.

My proposal is (if at all possible) to 'alias' the property in the
python api after fixing, and keep the alias around for one or two
revisions, along with an info warning that is printed, stating that this
is a depreciated api and you should use X instead. This gives scripters
one or more revisions (a few months!) to find and fix the error, makes
it trivial and perhaps even automatable, and even if they miss the
window, they can load that intermediate version and see the problem.

any thoughts? is this a good idea or even a doable one? or is it already
there and I somehow missed it?