[Bf-python] proposal for updating rna/ python names of properties

Dan Eicher dan at eu.phorio.us
Mon Jul 8 20:01:13 CEST 2013

Hi,

Technically I think it wouldn't be too hard to have makesrna add the code
to throw a DeprecationWarning exception, just need a new flag and a bit of
code to insert into the generated function.

The main problem I see is DeprecationWarning and PendingDeprecationWarning
are 'ignored by default' so it'll probably still be a big surprise when
depreciated functions/attributes are removed unless the dev goes to all the
trouble to turn on 'warnings as errors'. From what I can tell a lot of
addons aren't known to be broken until the actual blender release that
breaks them, not a whole lot of pre-release testing going on there, so more
than likely they won't 'break' until the depreciated feature is removed
from blender for good.

Not that I'm saying this isn't a good idea (like it myself actually) just
that python's way of ignoring depreciation exceptions by default kind of
defeats the purpose.

Dan