[Bf-python] Point clouds

Ian Johnson enjalot at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 16:03:46 CET 2010

Do the cubes have to be identical? What if one wanted to make different
cubes different colors? Are you moving the vertices around to create an
animation?

If i have 20k points which I want to move over time and have their colors
change, would particles be the way to go?

This is a very interesting discussion, thanks!
Ian

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Kris Nackaerts <knackaerts at gmx.net> wrote:

> Thank's,
>
> Dupliverts solved the issue!
>
> I import point cloud data as vertices. Next define a cube and assign it to
> the mesh.
>
> many thank's
>
> Kris
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 23:29:42 +0200
> > Von: Toni Alatalo <antont at kyperjokki.fi>
> > An: Blender Foundation Python list <bf-python at blender.org>
> > Betreff: Re: [Bf-python] Point clouds
>
> > Kris Nackaerts kirjoitti:
> > > I'm trying to read point cloud data (X Y Z R G B). As vertices it works
> > great, but whar can I do with vertices with respect to visualisation?
> I've
> > no experience with particles yet, coud this help and define vertices as
> > particles?
> > >

> > Particles might be an option - another is dupliverts, which is about
> > having an object (e.g. a pyramid mesh) show in the location of each
> > vertex of a mesh:
> >
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Modeling/Objects/Duplication/DupliVerts
> > . Dupliverts is much more efficient for the scene handling (is just one
> > object) and for drawing too (at least it could be, and i hope it is
> > somewhat in reality of the current code now too .. dunno if it has been
> > optimized to VBOs or anything like that yet).
> >
> > > One file contains 5000 locations and runs fine, when starting file 2,
> > the system begins to slow down dramatically. In total I have 50000
> points,
> > reading them as vertices is really quick, no problem.
> > >

> > 50k objects in a scene is a lot for Blender currently, it is not really
> > optimized for that (could perhaps be improved, dunno if have been looked
> > at recently).
> >
> > ~Toni

> --
> Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
> jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Ian Johnson