[Bf-python] Quake Map export script

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sun Dec 17 11:09:52 CET 2006

Their is functionality in both that the other dosnt have. It may be
worth merging them.

(Brushes are a number of planes defined in 3d ( fast n-sided convex
shape)  that can be compiled into a BSP very efficiently)

Differences are from looking at the script.
Vincents can do better texture mapping and supports portals (seems to
support quark spesific stuff?, I tested mine with gtkradient instead)
(Im sure theres stuff I missed, Vince, you may want to speak for yourself)

Mine can evaluate a mesh and extract the brushes writing non brush data
as brush-per face  - so it possible to use it to create more efficient
levels I assume. can also export nurbs patches.

Both are not THAT efficient for different reasons, mine does a lot of
mesh evaluation to extract brushes, Vinces could do with some simple
fixes, len(me.faces) rather then a function to count them.
however I dont think speeds the most important thing. its unlikely
people will export hi poly models with this.

- Can Vincent join the list and discuss?

A general note that there seems to be many slightly different
implimentations of the Map format, When testing I was able to make
brushes quark could import and gtkradiant couldnt.  Maybe we need to
define a target - quake 3 for instance?, after that we can set presets
for other engines.

--
Campbell J Barton

133 Hope Street