[Bf-python] Quake Map export script

Alexander Zubov a_zubov11 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 05:13:56 CET 2006

I just joined this newsgroup (thank to one guy ;)
And I would like to help to evaluate/test .map
exporter (and help to design it if nobody minds :)
I worked a little bit with Campbell's exporter and I
really like it even though it misses few features.
I think it's unnecessary to support all engines that
use .map files. There are too many of them and a lot
of professional level designer use specialized tools
like GTKRadiant or QuArK to make their levels.
I think Quake 3 .map format is most widely used
novadays.  First of all there are bunch of games made
using Quake 3 engine. Check it out please:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_3_engine
Second of all is the fact that Quake 3 engine released
under GPL and a lot of game developers are using it as
a foundation for their future projects. And third -
there are engines, Quake technology based engines,
that support Quake 3 .bsp levels (that requires to
have Quake3 .map files) and which can be used in
commercial indie game development.
So I really don't see a reason to support any other
.map formats other than Quake 3. At least until we
have working, fully featured Quake 3 .map exporter for
Blender. And everything else can be derived from that
exporter.
The exporter created by Campbell Barton can export
brushes, patches, it can parse mesh to set of brushes,
which is totally cool :) If we could add texturing
options, entity list and entity features, we would
have good and solid tool that would allow us to
minimize use of GTKRadiant.

Alexander "motorsep" Zubov