[Bf-python] Proposed BPyAPI Additions.

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Thu Aug 31 08:04:20 CEST 2006

Ken Hughes wrote:
> Campbell Barton wrote:
>> Hey all, Willain and myself discussed additions to the existing
>> BPython API to improve the current API but not break it.
>>
>> We are looking at adding these before next release, so could people
>> review  these changes.
>>
>> http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/BPythonAPI/SceneRefactor
>>

> One thing I disagree with is the constants, partially related to the
> Bitfields stuff I was proposing last spring/summer (buried for
> posterity here:
> http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Bitfields ).
>
> Since constants currently are just integers, there is no way within
> the API to avoid error by ensuring the user is using the right
> constant in the right place (for example, if Mesh.MODE and Object.LOCX
> have the same value, they can be used interchangably when they really
> should not be allowed to).  I think internally constants need to be
> represented differently, plus storing some/linking some context, so
> this can be done.
>
> Ken
Looks like you have put a bit of thaught into this.
the part of the proposal relatine to constants isnt somthing thats Im so
concernd about.
- just think it could be improved and  notived that it was easier to use
flags in C.

Willain, ok to remove the stuff about constants from the wikipage and we
can deal with it separately? - should be adressed and Kens solution
evaluated.

Ken, at the moment your solution would break the API so probably not to
be included so soon, but Id like to havge somthing like this added into
Blender eventually.

- Cam

--
Campbell J Barton