[Bf-python] Problem with memory...

Joseph Eagar joeeagar at prodigy.net
Mon Jul 18 01:12:33 CEST 2005

Manuel wrote:

> Willian Padovani Germano wrote:
>
>> Campbell reported about a bug in Python 2.3.X that caused it not to
>> free memory properly, before 2.37.  He tested then a Blender compiled
>> with Python 2.4.1, from what I remember, and said that the newer
>> version had the bug fixed.  That reminds me we should propose to move
>> to 2.4.x soon, if possible.  Better than doing it close to a new
>> release.
>

> Hi Willian!
> The memory problem seem not totally caused by python.
> Infact, if I delete the hairs by hand (X key) the memory usage is not
> free too.
> This even if I set the "global undo" option "OFF"... :-|

XKey won't deallocate anything, except for the data that connects the
mesh to the object, and the object to the scene.  All the rest is simply
not saved; that's all, but is still available in the databrowse
buttons.  So XKEY doesn't do much.

Of course, clearing a mesh manually with python does do something :)
Since your modifying the data, rather then simply "unlinking" it, you
end up freeing much of the allocated memory.  Just remember
mesh.update() :P .

joeedh