[Bf-python] Problem with memory...

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Mon Jul 18 00:44:35 CEST 2005

Willian Padovani Germano wrote:

>> Campbell reported about a bug in Python 2.3.X that caused it not to
>> free memory properly, before 2.37.  He tested then a Blender compiled
>> with Python 2.4.1, from what I remember, and said that the newer
>> version had the bug fixed.  That reminds me we should propose to move
>> to 2.4.x soon, if possible.  Better than doing it close to a new
>> release.
>

> Hi Willian!
> The memory problem seem not totally caused by python.
> Infact, if I delete the hairs by hand (X key) the memory usage is not
> free too.
> This even if I set the "global undo" option "OFF"... :-|
>
> About python, there is another strange "ghost effect".
> After using the function in previous message, that unlink all objs,
> if I use
>
> obs = Blender.Object.Get()
>
> this return the unlinked obs too.  It's normal?
>

>> PS: great work with Make Hair :).
>>

> Thanks... :-D
>
> Ciao,
>
>       Manuel

I have done a fair few memory tests with Python 2.3.x vs 2.4, 2.3 has
problems deallocating memory.
from what I remember it can reuse most of the memory but it did leak, It
was like Win95, I had to restart  Blender every 2 hours or so.

Since I compile  my own I just use Python 2.4.x and have never looked
back- All memory issues solved.

- Cam