[Bf-python] Re: Python 2.4

Joseph Gilbert models at paposo.com
Sat Aug 13 08:21:39 CEST 2005

Jean-Luc Peurière wrote:

> - Blender on the mac is a no-install app. Adding python will need
> installer with root privileges.
>  that's a serious problem, as it means more complexity for the user.

User difficulty should not be an impediment to upgrading python.
Remember windows comes with no default install.

> - If apple ships a python 2.4 himself during an update or for the next
> version, there will be conflicts
> - apple python has some differences with python.org one (in installed
> modules mostly), this may
> interfere with use of the previous versions

This is irrelavent. Blender uses an imbeded interpreter. The only issue
is the search path blender python will use to look up the /site-packages
directory.

> - python 2.4 cant be installed on Os X 10.2 and need a patch for 10.3.

osx 10.3+ can run python 2.4 however osx 10.2 apparently can't. The
effect this would have is that osx 10.2 users would not be able to
import non __builtin__ modules. Both systems would run python 2.4 code
as the intepreter is embedded.

> For all this reasons, as the apple platform manager, i would prefer
> that we keep 2.3 for the official builds,
> as it is the most compatible version for 10.2 to 10.4

I dont see any reason not to have osx use 2.3 for it's offical builds.
The question should be do you want to force windows and linux offical
builds to use python 2.3 because mac osx 10.2 will not be able to use
non __builtin__ modules.

> Note that there is many chances python will be upgraded by Apple in
> the next months, if you consider their
> past records (they have a 6-9 month delay for non essential or
> security-related upgrades).

Grtz to apple on its good python support :p