[Bf-python] documentation markup proposal

Michael Reimpell M.Reimpell at tu-bs.de
Fri Nov 5 09:04:09 CET 2004

> The .py files are currently documented using epydoc which is
> python specific.
The Epytext markup language is closely related to javadoc. Even more, Epydoc
can process plain javadoc and defines additional tags related to Python.

> The current plan for the C/C++ source is to use doxygen friendly markup,
> as mentioned in the 0-todo.txt file.
This is one reason why I proposed javadoc as markup language. Doxygen
flawlessly processes javadoc (1.1) markup.

I dislike to have similar but different tag name, e.g. "\param <name>" for
C/C++ and "@param <name>:" for Python, when I can use "@param <name>" for
both. Also almost every developer will be familiar with some basic html tags.
I can't think of a good reason why one should use dashes and hash characters
to mark lists, especially when the syntax is different for C/C++ and Python
documentation. Again you can just use html tags for both programming
languages.

Regards,
Michael