[Bf-python] Camera Calibration "Extension" - Initial Release

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 4 15:45:16 CET 2004

Hi Everyone,

To get the ball rolling on a few things, I've got my act into gear and
released a version of my camera calibration extension:
    http://www.warpax.com/pytsai/index.html

As a perfectionist, it's painful for me to release something that is
less than 110% complete, but I wanted to have something real out there
to get away from boring "vapour-ware" discussions. :-)  Now you can see
what this extension involves (script + Python extension module), and
have a play with it.  Bear in mind that I consider this a "working
prototype" rather than 100% publicly-releasable code.

I would probably recommend against attempts to incorporate the Python
extension module directly as a Blender extension module at this point
(although that should definitely be the goal).  I believe that there is
little benefit to be gained from that effort until much more work has
been done on the underlying C calibration code.  This extension can be
developed and used outside of Blender, and I see little reason to
incorporate it into the main code while it's still quite kludgy.  (The
only main benefit from having it directly within Blender is that it
could then have direct access to Blender's maths code, which may
eventually be important.)  If someone wishes to use the extension module
in the mean time, all they need is to have a separate version of Python
installed on their machine, which is a very minimal requirement.

(NB: There are other extension modules, for things like marker
identification and tracking in images, which would be much more
worthwhile incorporating into Blender right now! :-)

I would, however, like to see a home for this extension somewhere in the
blender.org CVS repositories.  If that's possible, I would be very
happy. :-)

I have also started an Elysiun thread for this topic.  I'm not sure how
many Elysiun users will have any success with the extension (since it is
a little more complicated than an isolated script or script bundle), so
I'm posting to this list too, for the benefit of developers:
    http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=311456

Jonathan Merritt.