[Bf-python] What are "Tail" bones?

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Sat Feb 7 04:13:01 CET 2004

Hi Carlos,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carlos López" <klopes at posta.unizar.es>
To: <bf-python at blender.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 2:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Bf-python] What are "Tail" bones?

> Mmmm... anyway: I think to give access to the global (or simply
> local-object) coordinates for the bone rest positions, would be a
> good idea.
> That is, something like defining the methods: bone.get/setRoot(),
> bone.get/setTip()
>
> I think it'd be more friendly because absolute positions are more
> usable for scripts.
> Like me, I'm doing a ODE implementation for armatures and I've
> to make several conversions, because the positions are
> independent of parent masses.
>
> Would it be easy to implement? YES? PLEASE!

The problem with Armature/Bone is that the original coder isn't working
with us anymore.  I wrote the docs and fixed one or two small bugs in
it, but that was all.  It isn't hard, but like other modules, it
requires some study of the sources, testing, etc.

BTW, adding functionality to a bpython module isn't the only way we
have.  We can also include python modules in the new scripts dir.
Jiba's work for the cal3d exporter has served as reference and code base
for other scripts dealing with armatures, it's one of the best examples
of modules we can include in Blender for other scripts to use.

We can start a mod_armatures.py module which includes functions from the
cal3d exporter and maybe some others.  Any volunteer to work on this?
Of course it's much better to have people who are interested in this
functionality and they must have at least basic knowledge of python.

But anyway, if no one works on this, when I get the time, I'll try to
expose more functionality to the Armature module, including creation of
armatures and bones.

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br