[Bf-python] Draw.RegisterEvent proposal

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Tue Aug 3 18:19:37 CEST 2004

Hi Joseph (joeedh),

----- Original Message -----
From: "joeedh" <joeeagar at prodigy.net>
To: <bf-python at blender.org>
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 11:58 PM
Subject: [Bf-python] Draw.RegisterEvent proposal

Not trying to dissuade you, *really*, but as this touches parts outside
bpython, actually the main event loop, it needs to be discussed at the
bf-committers list too, starting with a simple proposal, with examples of
usage.  There people not necessarily know about Draw.Register, etc. so the
proposal should be more general, about the functionality itself and what it
could be good for.

That's how it happens always -- Ton would eventually ask you for this.  And
let me warn that most times it's not as fast as the coder would like.  Your
idea is a good one, we all just need to discuss, get suggestions from all
about possible uses and the best way to implement it.

> Hi.   I think that a RegisterEvent function should be added to the Draw
> module.  This function would allow you to specify callback functions to
> be executed when, say, a new object is selected, or when the scene
> loads, or when a user saves (kind of like Scriptlinks).

Since the code for scriptlinks is already in place and has a straightforward
interface, I suggest we start there, there can be more scriptlink event
types.  And it's easy to set them from scripts now, too.

> This is something I personally think is vitally needed for, say, the
> creation of python scripts that can work on a per-object basis easily
> and without the use of the threading module.

Object scriptlinks on redraw might be enough for this particular example, or
not?

Willian, wgermano at ig.com.br