[Bf-python] libpng conflict between wxPython and Blender

www.stani.be s_t_a_n_i at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 20:09:37 CEST 2003

I got the following reply of a Linux user:

Hi Stani,
please forward this to blender developers.

>> Blender does not use libpng.

Blender DOES use libpng (it can handle png images
after all).

>> The releases of blender are built with
>> the regular (NaN) make environment. If you check
the nan_link.mk file
>> in source, you'll see that there's no reference to
png. Also, doing a
>> "ldd blender" does not show that blender depends on
libpng.

It's statically linked against libpng therefore ldd
doesn't show it.
It's added in source/Makefile on line 136:
COMLIB += $(NAN_PNG)/lib/libpng.a

I was able to produce a blender that segfaults when
trying to start
spe.py and one that works fine. All I had to do is to
point the
variable NAN_PNG (in nan_definitions.mk) to libpng
v1.0.15 in the first
case and to v1.2.5 in the latter case.

Since there's also the libpng.dll v1.2.x (for windows
obviously)
included in blender cvs I see no reason why blender
uses
v1.0.12 on Linux (and maybe other OS too).

I still believe that this is a general problem of
blender
(precompiled binaries) - not just of python and maybe
not platform
dependent.

Bye,
Tina