[Bf-python] libpng conflict between wxPython and Blender

Michel Selten michel.s at home.nl
Wed Sep 3 22:02:19 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 17:01, www.stani.be wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is the right forum, but according
> to a spe user (see feedback below) wxPython seems to
> conflict with the Linux Blender version.  As this is
> out of my reach, could someone please check this?!  If
> it is true,  this conflict makes it unfortunately
> impossible to run spe (or any other wxPython
> application) from Blender.  How can we solve this
> problem?

This is definately ok to ask here :)

> This was the feedback from a Linux user:
> spe running from within blender 1:
> It runs fine with blender I compiled myself however
> the official binary from blender3d.com breaks with a
> couple of errors. After doing some tests I found out
> that it's a problem with incompatible versions of
> libpng, i.e. 1.0.x vs. 1.2.x. It is/was actually not
> just a
> problem of spe/blender but one I had already many
> months ago with other apps (but those vanished over
> time). It seems that blender is compiled with 1.0.x
> but (I think) most users have the newer version now.
> There
> are two reasons why I could not start spe from within
> blender:
> 1. spe uses png images (wx is compiled with libpng
> 1.2.x).
> 2. I use a gtk2 theme engine that uses png images
> (compiled with libpng
> 1.2.x).
> After changing the theme to standard and changing all
> the png stuff in
> spe to e.g. tiff I could start it.

Blender does not use libpng. The releases of blender are built with the
regular (NaN) make environment. If you check the nan_link.mk file in
source, you'll see that there's no reference to png. Also, doing a "ldd
blender" does not show that blender depends on libpng.

So the problem must be somewhere else.

With regards,
	Michel