[Bf-python] Re: Object matrix writable?

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 18:30:13 CEST 2003

> when Blender itself cannot apply a
> perspective transform
> to object space coordinates (it can only do rigid
> body transforms +
> scaling)?

after having spend some time debuging a constraint
that would spit non-orthogonal matrices, I can tell
that yes, Blender accept those in the code, and yes,
it applies the correct transformation to the object.

>   2. Have a read-write transformation matrix for an
> object which is
> relative to its parent.

you can easily modify the Loc/Rot/Size properties,
which are already relative to the parent, so I francly
don't see why you would need matrix write access
since, like you said, those three are the only
parameter that should belong there.

>   3. Provide a method, for render export scripts and
> the like, which
> calculates the world-space transform for an object,
> by contatenating all
> the transforms in an object's heirarchy together
> (fast and easy - it's
> just matrix multiplication).  This matrix is
> read-only.

IMHO, it would be nicer and more practicle to provide
the same Loc/Rot/Size parameters, but relative to the
global space. With read/write access of course. That
way, the user has absolutly no possibly of writing a
non-orthogonal matrix, and it save the time to back
engineer the matrix if you only need to read the
global transformation.

Martin