[Bf-python] Python IDE which can run inside Blender

Stani Michiels s_t_a_n_i at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 20:13:21 CEST 2003

Hi,
I'm new to Blender, but familiar with Python.  Used to
comfortable IDE's like Boa, PythonWin, I couldn't get
along with the spartanic text Window of Blender to
write programs.  You can of course edit them outside
Blender, but than you don't have interactive access to
the Blender Python objects.

Therefore I developped a Python IDE which can run
inside Blender.  It includes many features, such as an
interactive shell with autocompletion and so on, a
locals browser and a Blender object browser,
drag&drop, customizable menus and toolbar buttons, and
much more...  Since it requires the full Python
installation and wxPython, it is more aimed at
experienced Python programmers.  It could make the
step for them easier to Blender. See attached
screenshot for a quick impression.

Before releasing I'm looking for some volunteers to do
some alfa testing. Also I would like to put this as a
Python project at the Blender community or at
Sourceforge, as I don't have my own webspace.  I don't
have to much time and I'm not experienced with CVS.
Does anybody of you have some 'connections' to
register this project as a Blender Python project?

I hope to bring Python and Blender a bit closer with
this.  I think Blender should be more present in the
Blender community.  It's strange that there was no
announcement of the new Blender release in the
Python's mailing list
(http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.python.announce).
If the reworked Python API will be included in the 228
release, for sure this has to be done.
I'll also do a post on the Python mailing lists of the
Blender community and Elysiun.
Thanks for any reactions,
Stani

PS:
Requires:
   *FULL Python22 installation
   *wxPython

Features:

Sidebar per file
   *class/method browser (jump to source)
   *automatic todo list, highlighting the most
important ones (jump to source)
   *automatic alphabetic index of classes and methods
(jump to source)
   *notes

Tools:
   *interactive shell
   *locals browser (left click to open, right click to
run)
   *seperate session recording
   *quick access to python files in folder and its
subfolders (click to open)
   *unlimited recent file list (left click to open,
right click to run)
   *automatic todo list of all open files,
highlighting the most important ones (jump to source)
   *automatic alphabetic index of all open files (jump
to source)

Python related:
    *auto-indentation
    *auto-completion
    *calltips

Drag & Drop: drop any amount of files or folders...
   *on main frame to open them
   *on shell to run them
   *on recent files to add them
   *on browser to add folders

General
   *context help defined everywhere
   *add your own menus and toolbar buttons
   *exit & remember:all open files will next time
automatically be loaded
      (handy for Blender sessions)
   *wxPython gui, so should be cross-platform
(Windows,Linux,Mac)
   *scripts can be executed in different ways:run,run
verbose & import
   *after error jump to line in source code

last but not least...

Blender related:
    *redraw the Blender screen on idle (no blackout)
    *load script in Blender Text window
    *Blender object tree browser
(cameras,objects,lamps,...)
    *add your favorite scripts to the menu
    *100% Blender compatible:can run within Blender,
so all these features are available within Blender