[Bf-modeling] New UV packing algorithm

Łukasz Czyż lukasz.czyzz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 00:28:14 CEST 2017

Dear Blender dev team,

first let me write a few words about myself: I am professional developer
with almost 5 years of experience in C++ programming, former employee of
Intel where I was developing graphics drivers. Recently I've started
working in 3D industry using mainly Blender for creating game assets.

Blender is awesome tool but I noticed that it is lacking good UV packing
algorithm. We all know that such algorithm would be huge time saver for
many people. I am now considering implementing such solution on my own in
Blender C++ code. Here is my question: will you consider adding my
implementation to Blender master branch when it is finally done?

I am going to get some funds for my work via a crowd funding site, off
course under the assumption that I will receive money only when my code is
committed to Blender master branch. So I am going to take all integration
risk on myself.

I am aware that there is similar effort going on here
https://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:SaphireS/gsoc2016/proposal, but it
doesn't seem that it will be accomplished and committed to master branch
anytime soon.

Best regards,
glukoz