[Bf-modeling] Procedural Modeling Tools

Patrice patrice.bertrand.eu at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 18:02:40 CEST 2014

Hi Noel,

The benefits of a modifier versus an interactive tool are many:
- you can adjust the settings at any time, as opposed to immediately
after using the tool.
- you can add keys or drivers to settings, so that the behaviour changes
in time
- if the original mesh changes for whatever reason (its own keys, other
modifiers, hooks, whatever), the modifier is reapplied on the latest mesh.
- and I probably forget a few more.

And conversaly, there are very few disadvanges, since whenever you want
you can apply it and you get what the tool gave you.   In other words
whatever a tool gives you a modifier can give you, so most tools should
have their modifier equivalent, in my opinion.

The use cases of a remove-doubles modifiers have been discussed in
https://developer.blender.org/T41748
It's an ongoing discussion.

Vlad, I'm not sure that grouping such stuff in a unique modifier would
make sense.   To add to your list, it had been proposed to have a bisect
modifier.

Patrice.