[Bf-modeling] Mirror Editing

Jonathan Williamson jonathan at cgcookie.com
Sat Jun 15 17:21:58 CEST 2013

I have actually never once tried to use Mirror Editing on Extrude until
today. I don't think I knew it was there... It's definitely very broken and
inconsistent at the moment so at the very least I vote to remove it from
extrude.

However, regular Mirror Editing is incredibly handy for those times that
you need it. My preference would be to try and make it work as all around
as possible. If I could choose, I would first opt for full settings support
(seams, sharpness, creases), as this is what I most commonly want out of
it. Then after setting support the tool support (extrude, subdivide,
bridge, etc) would be great. I don't see any reason to split it into Off,
On, and On + Tools. I'd vote for just Off/On. This keeps it simple for
users.

I think this is an important tool to fully support, rather than just going
for the Mirror modifier, particularly for those times that you have a model
that is 90% symmetrical. For example, perhaps I've altered a characters
head to make it more interesting and asymmetrical but the rest of the model
is symmetrical. I can't really use a mirror modifier in this case, but the
Mirror Editing would be ideal.

As one last thought, I have no idea what Topology Mirror does. I can't
never seem to get it to work like I'd expect. How's it work?

Jonathan Williamson
http://cgcookie.com