[Bf-modeling] Mirror Editing

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 12:04:40 CEST 2013

Hi All,

To kick off discussion - one feature Id like to either improve or
remove is extrude `Mirror Editing` option.
Bug report (only if your interested in details)
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=33374&group_id=9&atid=498

Note that there are only a few tools that support mirror (besides
painting, weight paint)
- Transform
- Smooth
- Subdivide smooth did in 2.4x
- Extrude

Extrude aside, I'd also like to consider if we want to try to make
mirror editing generally more useful to the point that users can
expect most edits to one half of a mesh will happen to the other...

Since supporting mirror-extrude only is a bit arbitrary IMHO.

We could make it work on editing operations like
subdivide/bridge/inset/bevel, simply by mirroring the selection before
the operator runs, clearing the selection after.

Also setting properties (edge sharp, crease, assigning materials,
flipping normals) could be made to work...

Having options for each tool would get annoying, so we could have 3
states [Mirror: Off|Enabled|Enabled+Tools] --- names could be better,
Enabled would be for transform only, tools would make all editing
operations mirror.

OR ... we could just assume that if people really want to mirror a
model they will use the mirror-modifier or edit then symmetrize and
not loose our development time attempting to make every tool support
mirror operations.
- Just remove extrude mirror option and keep mirror limited to a few
tools as it is now.

Your thoughts?
--
- Campbell