[Bf-marketing] Re: Blender Press Release

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Dec 5 11:56:56 CET 2005

Hi,

A couple of notes & hints;

--------------------
- Define clearly who the target audience and goal for such releases is.
I would suggest to "artists who work professionally with 3d tools", and
goal "invite them to try Blender as a serious alternative or as
addition to the artist's toolset".

- Don't try to make press releases 'funny'. This usually only works
against you, gives a very hobbyist image too.

- Don't be an underdog, but write with the coolness and relaxed
attitude of a winner.

- Make statements that provide recognition and 'customer satisfaction'
for current (professional) users as well. Nothing is worse than a press
release that embarasses current power uses. It helps to imagine you
write this to - for example - Anthony Zierhut (Spiderman3) or to the
brothers Ume (who did in Belgium amazing Blender movie work).

- A good press release has a well defined core message. Limit the
amount of information in a text, too much info usually gets ignored.
Solve it by for example providing a 2nd fact sheet with the description
of release highlights.

- Biggest question; are we going to comply the world wide 'template'
standard for press releases? In my corporate days we did quite some,
and sometimes it was embarassing too. :)
Here's the press releases for s/w releases of two competitors;

http://www.softimage.com/home/press/pressreleases/
050926_xsi5available.htm
http://www.alias.com/glb/eng/press/press_release_details.jsp?
itemId=2700002

------------------

So; apart from the obligatory list of features, I'd like to see a good
story as well. What is worth mentioning is;

- Blender is becoming an open source success story
- Support from Google (SOC) and BF (Orange Movie)
- Blender's growing acceptance in professional media (Belgium movie
studio, etc)
- Animation recode project summary
- Modifier system summary (can include booleans and fluids)
- A short note about future development

Then provide links to downloads (images, movies)

I wished I had more time for it... but there must be a smart &
professional author out there?

Thanks,

-Ton-