[Bf-marketing] Re: Blender Press Release

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 19:44:01 CET 2005

Hi Ton,

this actually isn't a 'press release'.  We will probably have a real
press release also.  (The standard 'For immediate release' Blender
Foundation Netherlands... blah blah)  Instead this is something to be
posted at the various artist community websites in the forums.

> - Define clearly who the target audience and goal for such releases is.
> I would suggest to "artists who work professionally with 3d tools", and
> goal "invite them to try Blender as a serious alternative or as
> addition to the artist's toolset".

A large number of existing artists have been 'invited' in the past to
use Blender especially large user communitys such as CGTalk, the
problem is that past experience and reaction to Blender was so
negative, that for the past three or so releases the artists have just
completely skipped looking at any thread that has Blender in the
title.  (Ie if you look through the threads at CGTalk, you will see on
average 1 or 2 non current Blender users posting.)

> - Don't try to make press releases 'funny'. This usually only works
> against you, gives a very hobbyist image too.

Sorry for the confusion of using press release.  This is closer to an ad,

> - Don't be an underdog, but write with the coolness and relaxed
> attitude of a winner.

I didn't get the impression of 'underdogness' from the article.

> - Make statements that provide recognition and 'customer satisfaction'
> for current (professional) users as well. Nothing is worse than a press
> release that embarasses current power uses. It helps to imagine you
> write this to - for example - Anthony Zierhut (Spiderman3) or to the
> brothers Ume (who did in Belgium amazing Blender movie work).

Again not actually a press release, but if you look at past postings
when Blender is released, they have generally been over the top
implications that Blender is the best thing since sliced bread.
Personally I woulnd't have thought that it would embarrass current
power users.  Also I'm positive I saw a similar style for one of the
major packages this past year.

> - A good press release has a well defined core message. Limit the
> amount of information in a text, too much info usually gets ignored.
> Solve it by for example providing a 2nd fact sheet with the description
> of release highlights.

I really feel guilty for misusing the word Press Release - which has
caused confusion - yes i knew better, but couldn't think of a more
correct term off the top of my head (It still eludes me....) :).

> - Biggest question; are we going to comply the world wide 'template'
> standard for press releases? In my corporate days we did quite some,
> and sometimes it was embarassing too. :)

Actual press releases are targeted for newswire agencies, they are not
really meant for 'human consumption' (not to say they are never
published, they are if page filler is needed but no time or interest
to write an actual article - of course that is why you have a nice
prewritten article they can use also, with screen shots taken already
in high enough resolution for print provided both in full color and in
black and white, sound bytes premade with contact information for the
sound byte provider for easy confirmation, and other stuff for very
lazy reporters....)  We can do a press release also if you would like
us to contact the newswires.  I think what we are doing is more
accurately called a teaser article.

LetterRip

Do you want the below for an actual press release or for an article.
Here is a press release based on the below.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ton Roosendaal, President
Blender Foundation
foundation at blender.org
(Phone number required 99.9% of press people will want to contact via phone...)

Blender Foundation releases the animation package Blender 2.40

Six months of open source development lead to a new release with
greatly improved animation tools.

Netherlands, December DATE, 2005.  Blender has quickly become an 'open
source' success story.  Blender is the leading open source animation
and digital content creation tool.  It has been adopted by
international professional media studios such as 'STUDIO NAME' and
professional and freelance artists for its fast workflow and full
featured set of digital content creation tools.

According to QUOTE_SOURCE - 'FLATTERING DESCRIPTION OF BLENDER WITH
MENTION OF HOW AMAZING NEW TOOLS ARE'. This newest release of Blender
brings industry standard features such as LIST OF FEATURES, but also
high end tools such as a powerful and easy to use fluid dynamics
simulation.

Blender is currently being utilized in Project Orange, a cooperative
project between ART_FOUNDATION and the Blender Foundation to
demonstrate open source tools suitability for creation of movies and
other high end animation.  Blender has also been used for the special
effects in MOVIE by STUDIO, some of the previsualization work for
MOVIE, and is the primary tool in the full length animated film MOVIE
by STUDIO.

The Blender Foundation was founded in DATE by Ton Roosendaal to
provide free and open source digital tools for artists and other
content creators.  To learn more about Blender visit www.blender.org

> - A short note about future development
> Then provide links to downloads (images, movies)

Neither are appropriate for a press release, but can be linked at a
'Press' section on Blender.

LetterRip