[Bf-interface] Workflow workshop, agenda topics and preparations

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 17 11:57:43 CET 2016

Hi,

Disclaimer: I’m starting fresh from initial mail again, since I’ve seen
mails going already in way to much details, imho (Sebastian… ;) ). My
point being: topic is way to broad and complex to be discussed in a
single thread, would make it impossible to follow. So I propose to keep
this thread only for the topics definition, and planning/agenda (in
other words, the schedule of the workshop). For further detailed
discussion of a topic or another (like, keymap, various types of
customizations, 101, etc.), please start new (or use existing) threads.

So, here is first draft of how I’d see things for the weekend:

   - Day I & II: Tackle each topic, from both sides:
     -- "Usability" side: Reconfirm existing UI/UX paradigms, check if
we need to make some of them evolve, and define new needed ones.
     -- "Technical" side: Based on designs laid out by usability
discussions, check what needs to be changed/extended/added to our UI/WM
code (not thinking about tiny implementation details here of course).
  - Day III: Would keep it 'empty', can think of several ways to use it:
     -- Potentially extra time to finish discussion on some topics if we
ran out of time in first two days.
     -- Handle unforeseen topics, questions etc. that may have arose
during workshop.
     -- Maybe spread in smaller groups to refine work on some specific
topics.
     -- Write/review first draft of final reports (though most of this
work should be done in days after workshop, of course)?
     -- ...

Some more organizational notes/questions (we do not want to be too much
formal, but think agreeing on that could be useful and save time):

   - Do we want to work in a single big group, or several smaller
groups? (personally, I would say one single group for first two days,
imho it’s important that everyone has minimal knowledge of all topics'
discussion, even if not directly interested to actually work on it. Then
more freedom for the last day… ;) )
   -- If we go for several smaller groups, we could agree on the "at
least one artist and one dev in each group" rule?
   - Do we accept talk? If yes, how long should they be at most?
(personally, would keep them short, maybe as introduction of some
topics, think we mostly need lots of discussion to agree on designs)
   - ...

And now, the topics (I put them in a hierarchy tree, that’s obviously
somewhat subjective, also probably have forgotten many points… and it
does not mean branches are not related to each other!):

   - UI/UX
     -- Do we need new UI widgets? Extend/Rework some existing ones?
(also thinking about proposed talk from Paweł, here)
     -- Do we need to extend or modify some interactions with operators
(modal ones? heavy computations ones?)?
     -- Review recent new UI features (custom manipulators and pies
mainly), how to use them in “default” Blender and not only as optional
new things?
     -- ...
   - Customization
     -- Do we agree on the need to have a place in UI where artists can
dump random settings and operators?
     --- If yes, how to do it (position? with tabs? with panels?
floating or not? etc.)?
     -- Make macro operators part of customization possibilities?
     -- ...
   - Workflows
     -- What is part of/defines a workflow?
       --- keymaps?
       --- UI items (panels, menus, ...) - i.e., exposed/visible tools
and data/settings?
       --- Custom manipulators?
       --- Screen layout?
       --- Visualization settings (like different draw modes in viewport…)?
     -- Do we replace (mostly viewport) modes (edit, sculpt, paint etc.)
by workflows?
     -- Do we reuse/extend existing workspaces (screens) feature as
workflows, or do we keep them separated? Or do we keep workflows inside
single space area?
     -- ...
   - Blender 101
     -- I see it as a specific workflow, roughly, should we use it as a
kind of guinea pig of workflow project?
     -- ...
   - Code-related questions
     -- Is custom spaces part of/needed for this project (custom spaces
would be definable from py, similar to how panels or UIList work currently)?
     -- Do we need to rework the notifications system?
     -- ...

Again, this is own first draft (based on previous mails and own
knowledge), most likely forgot or overseen many things… You are more
than welcome to add, move, remove, comment, suggest, whatever (even to
say this is complete piece of trash ;) )… But please, let’s keep this
thread onto agreeing on organization/agenda/topics points, and *not*
about detailed topics' content discussion/proposal/etc., really think we
should keep this into separated threads (like the one already started by
Mike regarding Blender 101).

Also, we may end with too much for three days, we can always trim down
later and focus on biggest/most important topics first, leaving smaller
ones for online discussion, if needed.

Cheers,
Bastien