[Bf-interface] Workflow workshop, agenda topics and preparations

Paweł Łyczkowski pawellyczkowski at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:20:28 CET 2016

My take on agenda could look like:

1st day: Since UI in big part visual, and during discussions it's difficult
to show how ideas work (one has to describe), I would make the first day
talks with access to the projector. Topic of talks would be directions one
wants to push. There's 9 participants, so there should be enough time for
1h per participants - 45 min talk, 15 min questions/clarification/quick
opinions. That is - if everyone participating requests a talk (by mail,
during next week).

That would be a warmup day, with time between it and the 2nd day to digest
the ideas.

2nd day: Discussion day. Since UI talk can go off the rails very quickly
the discussion should go topic by topic, from a predefined list. So,
something like Bastien proposed. That's my rough take:

- Paradigms and general direction
- Blender 101
- Discoverability and help (tuts/tooltips/documentation)
- Screen layout and general GUI
   - Layer Manager [2] and Outliner
   - Modifier list [6]
   - Brecht Bar [3]
   - Screen Layouts, editing modes and tabs (including Topbar Tabs [5])
   - Sidebars (customizing sidebars)
   - General customization (hiding parts of GUI?)
   - Display Settings - UI vs new viewport
- Workflow
   - Data handling (fake user and data loss, asset management)
   - Multi-mesh editing/UV mapping
   - Setting properties of multiple objects
   - Container objects [4]
   - UDIM
   - Texture Painting (layers?)
   - Snapping and Proportional Editing
   - How operators work, how tools work [1]
- Interaction
   - Keymap, especialy keymap core (mouse buttons, navigation, selection)
   - Keymap editor and it's issues
   - Widgets
   - Pies
   - Sticky Keys
- Add-ons
- Code related discussion

And, most important:
 - Priority (It's probably inevitable that there will be more ideas than
2.8 can handle. We should decide on a couple of items that are top priority
then)

3rd day: Decisions announced by module owners and working on concrete
solutions (or at least drafts). Here breaking into groups would be good I
suppose, with at least one dev (that can mock up prototypes in realtime
maybe?) per group.

Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers,
Paweł Łyczkowski