[Bf-gamedev] Proposal to (try to) get better FBX support

Forest Hale havoc at ghdigital.com
Sat Oct 4 22:47:25 CEST 2014

I will note that the criticism expressed toward Collada has primarily been on the difficult of parsing it directly in a game engine or conversion tool - specs tend to get MORE complicated with
revisions, not less, so this is a deadend approach if simplicity is a goal - and I believe that any source asset format (that is to say, fully featured for longterm maintenance in multiple modeling
apps, with multiple kinds of mesh data, camera paths and other scene parameters, etc) is going to be suboptimal for direct use in a game engine.

To cite an existing format that has the specific goal of being used in games, I'll point to the IQM format (Inter-Quake-Model - it originated from the Quake and Sauerbraten communities):
http://sauerbraten.org/iqm/

The iqm format has a blender plugin already, and is supported by a couple dozen games (on various engines) as a directly loaded format, its main feature is very consistent mesh formatting for optimal
draw order in games (a critical feature for real-world use - it is not a source asset storage format like Collada), with skeletal animation, custom vertex properties (certain ones are required but you
may add as many as you like), and is extensible.

I tend to favor piling on more features to an existing standard rather than making yet another one.