[Bf-gamedev] Perhaps consider OpenGEX instead of FBX/Collada?

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 3 14:03:10 CEST 2014

Hi,

Wasn’t aware of that format, had a quick look to it this morning.

I find it rather interesting (in the sense, it tries to create a similar
thing to collada/FBX, but avoiding the huge issues of those formats,
i.e. lack of open, clear, and reasonably simple and strict specifications).

But, aside the topic of being rather confidential currently, it seems to
me it tends to be too much game-oriented. E.g. obvious features like
polygons are not supported at all, for a new generalist format in our
days this is rather sad. And the way tris/quads are handled is also
quite limitating.

Further more, being text-only format is a drawback to me (not huge, but
still), full-binary format can be much much more efficient to
read/write, and smaller too (even though compression can even things a
bit here).

So in a word, I'd rather wait a bit to see where it goes, before
deciding to drop collada/fbx! :P

Bastien