[Bf-gamedev] Features list revisited - projects for 2015

Timur Ariman timur_ariman at yahoo.de
Thu Nov 6 06:09:29 CET 2014

@Takanu Kyriako

the majority of people are heavily relying on tools like Zbrush and 3DCoat since those are used broadly along all the 3D industries including the games industry.

while agreeing on fbx as that it is not ready yet for such a step,
a quick obj I/O is crucial if you have a pipeline of tools

where you have the need of I/O.

1. Blender has amazing baking functions where a fast I/O, of OBJ files would help tremendously for baking down highpoly details to lowpoly ones.

2. for keeping the drawcalls in game engines down, you combine all meshes and export them
as one big mesh - since those meshes are static, obj can be used in that case inside the game engines.

In these above cases which are just the first two, there are many more cases exclusively

for game artists, a fast obj I/O would be important.

I think it can be agreed on that the inclusion of a PBR viewer inside of Blender is only the cherry on top which gets implemented when the
underlying stuff like Multi-UV, better obj I/O and improvements of the UV editor etc is implemented.

@ Piotr

to point c
there is the UV squares addon available this should help you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYZnGIql2UI

its on the Blendermarket and an older version available

on github to test and be convinced to get this addon from the store.

https://github.com/Radivarig/BlenderScripts/tree/master/UvSquares