[Bf-gamedev] Importing issues

Bastien Montagne montagne29 at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 7 19:21:52 CEST 2014

Hi LIna,

On 07/05/2014 18:46, Lina Halper wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of question about importing part of blender. This test
> is done using FBXs from UE4 and other sources, and these two seem the
> biggest hurdle for us to work with blender.
>
> 1.Converting Scene issue
> - when importing the FBX exported from UE4 to blender, we see mesh is
> rotated.
> - when we open this in Maya or FBX review, we don’t see this issue
> - I’m wondering how you convert scene when imported. Do you read
> current scene set up and convert?
> - Now if you modify and export back out, now mesh is rotated

Currently, Blender does not use axis data stored inside FBX (mainly
because, since most format do not have such info, we have a common
system of front, up axes settings shared bewteen many export/import
operators, that generate a global transform matrix for us). It’s on my
TODO list to use such data from FBX files (some kind of 'auto
orientation' option)… But currently, you have to set correctly foward
and up axes so that they match the other app conventions (as most FBX
exporters do not allow to modify these settings, afaik).

You may also have more issues if both app do not share the same ref
system (left/right hand stuff, not sure UE4 respects OpenGL or DirectX
convention here?).

> 2.Converting Unit issue
> - when importing FBX or Collada, if I have “import unit” option off,
> it imports as very small (1/100^th ). If I have that option on, it
> imports correctly.
> - Is this intended?  How do you see your unit conversion with other
> package?

FBX import does not support units at all currently, afaik… And when
there are no units, again different apps have different conventions, so
one might export in mm when Blender will import in BlenderUnits
(commonly accepted as meters, though this is configurable and ultimately
a matter of convention, again). That’s why you have a Scale setting in
importers and exporters, to apply some correction if needed.

> Thanks,
>
> --Lina,

Cheers,
Bastien