[Bf-gamedev] GSOC proposal? ES rasterizer + Raspberry Pi

Arnaud Loonstra arnaud at sphaero.org
Thu Mar 13 21:20:15 CET 2014

Hi All,

I was wondering if a proposal like the following would be suitable for
GSOC? I've followed a template found on wiki.blender.org

Any comments/feedback?

Rg,

Arnaud.

Name

     Arnaud Loonstra

Email / IRC / WWW

     Email: arnaud at z25.org
     IRC: sphaero_z25
     WWW: http://www.z25.org / http://www.sphaero.org
     GIT: http://github.com/sphaero

Additional Contact Info

Phone: later

Physical Address:
     Concordiastraat 67a
     3551EM Utrecht
     The Netherlands

Synopsis

     OpenGL ES Rasterizer for Game Engine. Raspberry PI support for
     game engine.

Benefits to Blender

     With an OpenGL ES Rasterizer the game engine can target embedded
hardware like the Raspberry PI or Beagleboard. Also the ES rasterizer is
a first requirement for getting support for Android.

Deliverables

     The blenderplayer will run on the Raspberry PI based using standard
openGLES. Standard .blend files run natively.

Project Details

     A more detailed description.

Project Schedule

     I'm not sure how much work this will require but the work can
     be  based on the previous attempt to port the Blenderplayer
     to Android.
     * researching the current openGL rasterizer
     * setting up a dev environment solely focused on the Blenderplayer
     * Initial openGLES porting on x86(_64)
     * Initial ARM porting
     * Full openGL ES ARM port
     * porting shaders
     * wrapping up/finalizing documentation

     I do expect to be on vacation for 3 weeks. But this will only
     mean I can't be online fulltime.

Bio

     I'm Arnaud Loonstra currently doing a Master study in Media
Technology at the Leiden Institute for Advanced Computer Science
(LIACS). I've been involved in Blender since around 2000 and since the
2.5 release this has progressed to working with the source of Blender as
well. Many example projects from the Z25 Foundation I have done with
Blender. I'm mostly interested in realtime applications with Blender
therefore my focus is on the Game Engine. In the past I've written a
Blenderplayer for the Raspberry PI using OpenFrameworks. I have
submitted some minor bug reports and patches to Blender (GE) but nothing
really substantive. I'm an experienced C and Python programmer although
I'll admit that openGL ES is an area I've only recently touched upon.

--
w: http://www.sphaero.org
t: http://twitter.com/sphaero