[Bf-gamedev] Several Concerns about GSOC

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:29:15 CET 2014

Hi Susie,

This could work but probably you have to take a bit if care to do it
in such a way thats not specific to an engine.

First it would be interesting to talk to anyone who makes levels with
blender, even for small smart-phone games, and see the issues they run
into.

Some stuff to investigate.

- Modeling tools which you might use to make levels more efficiently.
- UV Mapping for levels (we could do better here).
- Baking shadowmaps for games (do games still do this? :D).
- Any features from blender missing that would help it be extensible
for addons to make special level editors for specific engines.
- Exporters for game level formats (outside the scope of GSOC, but
worth being aware of).

For really good level editors you will probably end up wanting  to
write an addon with specialized panels and integrated exporter. But
there is certainly room for improvement for general purpose level
editing features too.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM,  <s23su at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Susie, and I'm a first-year Software Engineering student
> from University of Waterloo. I've learned a lot about C++ and C in
> school but am still new to game development. I looked through all the
> sample ideas on the website and found that adding a function of level
> editor to the game engines is more of my interest. Can somebody please
> give me some suggestions on where I should start from or what kind of
> projects related to this is more doable?
>
> Any advice is appreciated:)
>

> Thanks,
> Susie

- Campbell